Recipe of the month - March
Rainbow baked potato
This recipe is a twist of the traditional baked potato. Here I use three types of potato - any white variety, sweet potato (kumera) and purple potato. You can find all three types in most supermarket and any good grocer.
2 medium white potato
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium purple potato
Milk of any sort of your liking. For example almond milk, soy milk, or cow's milk if you use it.
Splash of olive oil
1. Set the oven to 200 C fan force.
2. Peel and slice all potato to around 2-3 mm thickness. See note:
3. Arrange in an attractive way to reveal a pattern.
4. Pour in milk and olive oil to just cover the potato
5. Wrap in aluminium foil to bake for around 50 minutes until potato is cooked through.
6. For the last 5 minutes of the baking time, remove the foil to brown the top a little for colour.
1. Underneath the purple skin of the purple potato is the white outer flesh. As it is peeled, it may turn brown due to oxidation to room air. This is normal. Once cooked, you won't see the brown colour.
2. Some recipes called for cream. I opted to use milk to reduce the energy of this dish.
3. You may want to place a empty tray in the oven underneath the potato as the liquid sometimes boil over if you baking dish is swallow.